From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 17:25:42 GMT
Marc,

My first question would be whether or not you got DOS drivers for this card.
  If you did not, you will not get it to work in DOS.  DOS is not a Plug n
Pray operating system (and that was not a typo, in case you are wondering).
If there is no way to set specific IRQ, I/O, and DMA settings, either
through jumpers or a configuration program, on the card, then there is no
way for the card to interact with DOS.  These settings have to be detected
by the BIOS on bootup.  Also, in most cases the PnP O/S option in the BIOS
must be set to NO as well.

I have to admit, I don't have a lot of experience with sound cards with
regards to this issue (maybe two or three over the last three years), but I
have fought this many times with PnP NICs.  Good luck!

Kyle

>From: "Marc E. Mosher" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: [PCBUILD] Sound Blaster 16 Value PNP in DOS?
>Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 22:39:25 -0400
>
>   I just bought a Sound Blaster 16 Value with Plug N Play.  It works great
>in
>Windows 98 and in when I run anything in a DOS box in Windows 98.
>
>   But I can't get it to work in DOS outside of Win98 at all.  I have tried
>use the DIAGNOSE program, which works and finds it in Win98.  I go
>through the set up process, restart the computer and it can't find the card
>in DOS.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html