From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:15:12 -0400
Olushola -

Thanks for the advice.

The video work will all be in the digital domain.  (It involves
custom digital processing of various videos.)

The final output medium would be mpeg's on a hard drive.

When you say very fast and large hard drives, what did you
have in mind?

I'm planning on using a 36 Gb 15000 rpm scsi drive for the
main system drive.  I believe there is also an 80 Gb sibling
of this drive, but these drives are quite pricey.  Should I
be thinking about larger, but cheaper drives (sata, raid?)?
I'm really not familiar with the demands of video processing,
so I don't know what pays off, and what doesn't matter or
isn't worth the money.

Also, was there a particular matrox card you have in mind?
(We're you recommending the matrox *only* for analog
processing, or also for pure digital processing, as well?)

Thanks again for your help.

                                                    -f

Olushola <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Since video editing was in the subject field, I assume you plan to use the
> video card for capturing. You did not say what would be your final output
> medium.
>
> If it's tape or DVD, I recommend you purchased the ADVC-100 from Canopus
> (about $300) which will encode the analog video to a DV format. Also you
> will need a 1394 (less than $30) card in your computer. This card is used to
> transport the DV formatted data from the ADVC to your hard drive, and vice
> versa. You can then get some very inexpensive software to edit your video.
> After editing you direct your edited video to the ADVC-100 (via the 1304
> card) which can output to a DV camcorder or a VHS tape deck. This is the
> least expensive method for maintaining high quality video throughout the
> capturing, editing, and output format.
>
> Capturing and editing in the analog domain is considerably more expensive
> and resource intensive. Also you won't be pleased with the video output
> quality from the ATI Radeon 9800. If you want to work in the analog domain,
> then get a graphic card like the Matrox, and very fast and large hard
> drives.
>
> Work in the digital domain. This is the least expensive method for
> maintaining high quality video throughout the capturing, editing, and output
> format.
>
> Olushola Sowande

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews