From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 19:18:58 -0500
From: "Dan Kucherich" :Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 4:49 PM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] CPU's

> Thanks Mary and Mark,
>
> The motherboard that I have PC100 Systemboard model PII-3748MT.  It uses the
> Xcel 2000 chipset.  The manual says I can use up to a PIII 550mhz or a PPGA
> Celeron up to 466mhz.  But like you mentioned, it may support higher.  Those
> were maybe the highest clock speed cpu's when the manual was printed
>
> I don't see anything about voltage settings in the manual.  Is it maybe
> auto-detected?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dan

Dan,

The voltage settings can be auto detected by the BIOS  based on the processor, although some motherboards allow the changing of the voltage for overclocking.  You need to find out if there are any BIOS upgrades for your motherboard to support lower voltages.  The information on the BIOS upgrade should tell you whether it supports any newer processors then the ones mentioned in the manual.  Currently your motherboard may not support voltages lower than 2.0 V as both the processors it supports need 2.0V.

Your motherboard made by Amptron supports both a socket 370 or a slot 1 processor.  The BIOS upgrade for your motherboard says that it includes support for a 700 Mhz FC-PGA cpu and can be found here:
http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.html .  I would verify with Amptron that this is the BIOS upgrade for your motherboard as it lists all of the final letters for the motherboards (LMRT) and is dated 11/20/2000.  I would suggest this as your most viable option for upgrading your motherboard unless someone else on the list has had experience with slotkets and your motherboard.

Mary Wolden

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>