Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 16:48:37 -0500
I am about to build several systems that will be used as kiosk in public
places and will be lest on all of the time. These systems will placed
into wooden enclosures and while they will offer some ventilation, I
want a system that will 1. Run very cool w/o needing a CPU fan 2. Be
very stable. and 3. Be Linux compatible.

The system will be displaying information off of either CDs or DVDs that
is in HTML format and possibly mpg2 video. I plan on using a video card
that has a built in DVD decoder and would also like a suggestion on a
quality fairly inexpensive video card that also runs on the cool side.

Because the systems will not be doing any real intense computing, and I
plan on having a hardware driven DVD decoder, I was thinking of using
something along the line of an Intel Celeron because I have built
several of these systems in the past with just large heat sinks, w/o
fans and have yet to rcv any complaints from their owners. I prefer AMD
and my main system is an AMD Athlon, but it runs on the hot side. Are
the Duron chips any better?

Again, the main thing that I need is low temp and stability in both the
main system and video card. Performance is secondary.

Dennis Noble
361-808-9363