From:
Jack R Payton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 22:21:25 -0500
RE: Corrupt Win98SE registry.

Problem:

"I was trying to save it with a program and it backfired. It starts, asks
me a question that windows will fix a file and the computer will restart.
I had to OK it , I had no choice. So it will ask the same question next
time and repeat the circle. I did it at least four times.
I know pretty sure, it i s not the heat problem. If I hv  to reinstal win
98 SE  how to do it fast without wasting an hour to do it is there a
utility that I can carry on a floppy and fix the  registry when it is
needed? - Paul"

Response:

I thought Win98SE had a System Restore program which gives you the option
of restoring your registry to an earlier point when it was running
correctly? In WinME, the Sys [registry] Restore program is rstrui.exe
found in Windows\system\restore.

If not, for the future I suggest you create a couple DOS batch files like
I did in earlier Win9x versions, which copy the two (good) registry files
(Windows\system.dat & user.dat) to a different folder and copy them back,
should your registry files became corrupt.

   Hint1: copy/backup your registry this way frequently, say at the end
of a session but at least once a week, and especially after installing
any new software, updates, etc. This method works even if your registry
is so screwed up that you can't open Windows9x, as you can always boot
into DOS [or get there with a recovery disk] and use your DOS batch files
(or just the COPY" command) to copy your good registry files to the
Windows folder.

   Hint2: In some earlier Win9x versions prior to WinME, Windows9x
versions automatically created .bak's of the reg files: system.bak and
user.bak, which the that Windows restorer program would copy the .bak's
to the .sys files. Using the COPY or batch file method, when you copy
your good, older registry files back to the Windows folder, first copy
thme as *.sys files, then as *.bak files. Otherwise, if you have a
registry problem before Windows makes a new registry backup, Windows will
copy the bad *.bak files as *.sys files, thus putting you back to square
one.

Re your present problem: if you can't restore your registry, I'd guess
you'll have to completely reinstall not only Windows, but all your
programs as well. Otherwise, your newly installed registry (you don't
want your old registry - that's the problem) will not include the entries
needed to run the rest of your software. In that case, you might as well
re-format your hard drive/partitions, too.

Jack Payton