From:
Sue Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 01:56:53 -0400
On 24 Oct 2004 at 0:26, Sven wrote:
> The seems to be some confusion in reference to the character string
> found in the "Registered to:" section on the General tab of System
> Properties. The 20 characters there is the operating system Product
> Identification (PID). It is not the "Product Key" which contains 25
> characters. The product key is on the installed system, but not easily
> found. For a factory installation it is on the Certificate of
> Authenticity (COA) label which should be affixed to the body of the
> PC. For retail and OEM versions, the COA is included with the
> installation CD.

To Mr. Swanson and list,

Thank you for the well-written and (as always) knowledgeable reply
on the difference between the product identification and product
key. I stand corrected. This is what is great about the list, I can learn
so much from the wonderful people here.
I did run my belarc advisor and did see the key next to the
identification number. I've had belarc for other computers, but never
ran it on this particular one. I should have looked at me CD before
replying, and I would have seen the numbers were different.
Thanks again for clearing up the (my) confusion.

Also On 24 Oct 2004 at 0:26,  joseph marty wrote:

> Once again, that is not the product key.  You could not do an
> installation of your OS using that number.  Read Sven's response.  I
> swear on my mother's life that is not the product key that would
> either be on the COA or on the CD packaging itself (OEM).  Go ahead,
> uninstall your OS after you copy down those numbers.  You'll be stuck
> until you find the actual product key.
 There was no need to be so sarcastic in your reply to me. A simple
explanation like Mr. Swanson's would have sufficed. Thank you
anyway for your response.

Sue Clark
Bristol, ME

                     visit our download web page at: