From:
David Nasser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 11:01:07 CDT
>Subject: old SDRAM @ 83NHZ
>
>i have an old 32mb SDRAM. i have just overclocked my machine @83 MHZ. i'm
>not sure if just leave the ram or go and replace it with a PC100 one. the
>machine runs fine rigfht now but i'm not sure if this is going to be good
>in the long run. what should i do

You should become fully cognizant of potential implications of
overclocking your hardware.

It seems likely that you have increased the FSB speed from 66 to
83 mhz. This effectively increases the speed at which your cpu and
pci (and possibly isa) devices run. You could get unpredictable
behavior from any of these devices because they are all running
faster than the manufacturers recommendations.

"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It!" I'd recommend running hardware
diagnostic software as well as your usual applications. If you
observe, say, memory related errors, it may make sense to replace
your SDRAM (won't cost too much). On the other hand if you
observe, say, HDD problems, better RAM won't help and you
might want to consider decreasing FSB speed.

There are lots of possibilities. Good luck.

  Cheers,
  David

** David Nasser                     **     [log in to unmask]  **
** Univ. Mo. St. Louis              **                              **

"If I don't go crazy
 I will surely lose my mind."
    from "Mean Black Spider Blues", Robt (Junior) Lockwood, around 1940.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html