From:
Julius Militante <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 11:53:45 -0500
While I am no expert (yet), I have been trying to upgrade the 486 computers
here at work to something faster and have been looking into all sorts of
stuff for the upgrade.

1) Pentium overdrive - One of the easiest things to do is to get a Pentium
overdrive chip to replace the 486 cuz you don't do anything but replace the
chip.  These are available online, go to Pricewatch and do Search.

2) RAM type - If you want to use your RAM, you must make sure that it is
the 72-pin SIMM type cuz no new boards offer slots for the 30-pin type.
Also, with SIMMs and Pentium or higher chips, RAM must be used in pairs
(like 32 meg = 2 x 16 meg, or 4 x 8 meg).

3) Video card type - I can't imagine that you have a video card that you
can use in a newer board.  You might have to buy a new one.

4) Computer case - Also, your computer case is important.  It is difficult
to find MBs for desktop cases.  Hopefully, you have a tower type case which
would mean you can use AT type MBs.

5) CD-ROM - I assume that you have a floppy drive, but do you have CD-ROM
drives?  Some 486 (like in this office) don't!  If not...well, you have to
get one.

5) Possible motherboard - I suggest the FIC VA 503+ board which would fit
an AT case.  These have 4 SIMM slots (also 2 DIMM slots), 1 AGP, 3 PCI and
3 ISA slots, and was designed for upgrading computers like yours.  (I am
using one.)  You can use an AGP video card with it, but also there are PCI
video cards (cheaper) which you can use.  Also, this board can use K6-2
chips (up to 500 MHz), which sometimes are cheaper than Pentiums.  So, you
can (possibly) upgrade your machine (if your RAM is the correct type) with:

        a. FIC VA 503+ board
        b. K6-2 chip
        c. video card

It is possible to spend less than ~$200 on these 3 things per machine (look
for prices at Pricewatch.com). I know this is not step by step, but it is
hard to go further without knowing more details about your computers.  Hope
this helps.

At 09:54 AM 09/05/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I am trying to upgrade my two 486 processors to pentiums. Both
>have 32 Mb of RAM and run at a frequency of 66MHz. What kind of
>mother board do I need to buy? I would appreciate any step by
>step instrucrionson this upgrade.
>
>Bellintone Changwe
>
>                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
>                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>