From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:11:35 -0700
Just a note to add, I suggest that before placing a paging file on a
disk, that it be recently de-fragged. If the disk is already has a
paging file on it (meaning you want to completely de-frag the disk and
paging file prior to setting a fixed size paging file), then use a two
step approach. The first step is to set the paging file to none (using
Anna's basic instructions below, but select the option for no paging
file). The when asked to reboot (ignore any wanring about not using a
paging file is not recommended, etc), reboot into safe mode. Run the
full defrag on the disk, then go back into the advanced system
properties to set the paging file to the fixed size (same minimum and
maximum) as Anna describes, and reboot normally.

Russ Poffenberger

Computer9f wrote:
> Hi Norwin,  I can tell you how to do it in XP - it may or may not be the same in Vista.  It should surely be similar.
>
> Open the Control Panel window
> Choose "System" (Properties)
> Choose the Advanced (Tab)
> Choose the top "Settings" button ("Visual effects,  ..., "virtual memory")
> Choose the Advanced (Tab)
>
> In this (Advanced) window, under the heading "Virtual Memory" notice your current "Total paging file size for all drives" - you may wish to use the "Maximum" number for your new page file.  Using a fixed size paging file (using the same size number for both Initial and Maximum) reduces fragmentation.
>
> Choose the Change (button)
>
> Highlight the drive where you want to put the paging file
> Choose the radio button "Custom Size"
>
> For Initial Size (MB): enter the total size you want for your paging file
> For Maximum Size (MB): enter the same number here
> Choose the "Set" (button)
>
> I can go no further without actually doing something on my own machine, but I imagine you have to click Apply or OK, or some such.  When you get back to the drive window....
>
> Highlight the drive from which you wish to remove the page file
> Choose the radio button "No paging file"
> OK yourself out of the windows
>
> AnnaSummers

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>