From:
D Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:47:32 -0700
At 17:07 7/22/2005, John wrote:
>Video cables and I think a few other types are required by the
>FCC to have RFI suppression installed. That is the little cylinder shaped
>thing you see. It is a toroid core. That end of the cable connects to the
>video monitor. It prevents RFI from the monitor feeding back out and using
>the cable as an antenna to broadcast RFI to other electronic devices in the
>area.

Thanks, John.  Very interesting.  I searched on RFI and landed on a
site all about Ham radios.
<http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/rficomp.html>
Wow, the stuff you didn't know you didn't know, but sorta get.  I had
no idea the noise from some equipment would interfere with a
radio.  So, the toroid core is like a filter.

I'm wondering if this cable that goes from my fax machine to my
computer would be of any use anywhere else?  I never connected the
fax to the computer.  Would it work to set up a dual monitor
rig?  There's one of those toroid cores on one end of the cable, so I
could plug the toroid cored end into a spare monitor and the
non-cored end into my laptop and I'd have a dual monitor setup?

Diane