From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 15:27:02 -0800
On Tuesday, January 04, 2000 10:17 AM, Hahnel, Winfried (W.A.)
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Whenever I try to use "Add New Hardware" I get a "blue screen" and have to
> reboot the computer.  This started happening after I had to remove an
> Adaptec AH154 card from the computer temporarily to install another card.
> The Adaptec card was for use by a CDR.  Now I'm trying to reinstall the
> Adaptec card and this problem has begun.  I can't even run "Add New
> Hardware"
> to detect ANYTHING now.
>
> I rerun WIN98SE install and still have the same problem.   Please help!

The most common problem with Windows 98 (SE included) is having a hardware
device that isn't working properly. The first thing you should try (if you
haven't already done so <g>) is read the Win98(SE) Help on hardware conflict
troubleshooting. After opening Help from the Start menu, just click
"Troubleshooting," or use the Help system's Index or Search tabs to access
specific topics. You can also usually solve hardware hassles by opening the
System control panel's Device Manager, removing the offending driver and
restarting (or even simply clicking "Refresh" right there in Device
Manager). This, "generally" will solve nearly all plug-and-play driver
problems. (If you need to update a device driver, check
http://www.microsoft.com/hwtest/hcl/ for a list of the latest updates.) If
Win98's (SE) plug-and-play re-detects the device, there is a good chance it
will configure itself correctly. If that doesn't work, and "Add New
Hardware" doesn't see the device, the next thing to try is disabling other
devices (check the device properties box labeled "Disable in this hardware
profile"). After restarting, check Device Manager to see if the device is
working. If so, re-enable the disabled devices one by one, restarting each
time.

Windows "Blue Screen" errors are typically caused by programs or device
drivers that are just plain incompatible with the version of Windows you are
running. If you haven't already, uninstall the application or device you
just installed to fix the problem. Obtain an updated version if possible.
(See WinFiles http://www.winfiles.com , http://www.windrivers.com/  or
http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/drivers.asp for an up-to-date
list of drivers and related info.) I have taken in consideration that you
have performed all of the above procedures, but  I just want to ensure
myself and other list members that all of the troubleshooting avenues have
been covered.  HTH.  :-)

Walter R. Worth

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>