From:
"Richard T." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 21:58:32 -0400
Paul...
        I recently went through the same quandry with a P4 which I bought
pre-built which had about the same specs as yours as well as XP pre-installed. I
usually like to have about 10 gig for the OS and "documents" etc. From there I
usually divide the HD into 3 more partitions, for digital pics, and, yes.. Old
Steam Engines (especially Berkshires!), a partition for music, and..a last one
for other important stuff.. In light of the fact that the OS was pre-installed,
and hearing of the occasional horror stories of re- installing XP, I elected to
just "leave it alone" for a change. I just make sure to burn lots of backup
disks. Another advantage of the partitioning is that it's usually just the c
drive that needs a defrag, and 10 gigs goes a lot faster than 100 gigs. To
overcome that I went out and got the newest version of diskkeeper, which works
like a charm, and quite quickly. So far (4 mo.) all's been just fine!

Rich Tabas
Phila Pa
(PRR territory)