From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:08:12 -0600
From: Jim Cook :Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 10:46 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Using Infrared Port

Hello,
     I need a lesson on using the infrared capabilities of a computer.  The
motherboard I am using is a Shuttle 637P.  The board does have infrared
capabilities. But I don't know what I am doing and my supplier of the board
does not either.  The Shuttle web site was no help either.  Here is what I
have done.
     I have gone into the BIOS and enabled the infrared.  The web site said
COM2 can be configured for infrared communicatio.  I did that.  When I
restarted the computer, Windows 98 found the infrared port and installed the
software for it.  I get a small icon on the taskbar telling me it is looking
for an infrared device.  I have a HP laser printer that supports infrared
communication.  The printer is set up correctly.  The LPT port is set for
LPT 3 which is the infrared port.  The printer is located about 10 feet
away.  Everything is working fine but the computer does not see the printer.
Is there something else I need to attach to the computer?  Where does the
infrared signal come from, the front or back of the computer? I have pointed
the computer both ways to the printer.  What have I missed?

Thank you
Jim Cook

Jim,

You are missing the IrDA motherboard adapter which plugs into your
motherboard.  ACTiSYS carries the IrDA motherboard adapter that is
compatible with your motherboard, the IR210L.  It runs $39.99 and you can
find it at http://www.actisys.com/ACT210.html.  It has both the motherboard
connector and the head which plugs into the motherboard connector.  Aim the
head at the printer IR head and then your computer will be able to find the
printer.

Mary Wolden

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>