From:
Dan Deucalion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:59:15 -0500
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 02:48:56 -0500, Walter Ermacora <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Just recently I've encountered a short buzzing sound when my computer starts up.  When this happens, my computer doesn't function properly.  I have a Compaq Deskpro EN, PIII 733Mhz computer running on a WIN98SE OS.  I cannot pinpoint the source of this problem.  Can someone please help?

I have a similar problem.  I have a relatively new dual core 2.8 Gz Pentium 4 which buzzes/whirs very loudly "sometimes" upon startup and lasts about 90 seconds.  There appears to be no deleterious effect on the ability of the pc to boot or function.  Actually, the sound goes away before the boot is finished.

I have switched out the power supply and disconnected all drives and fans to verify the noise does not come from one of those.  That pretty much leaves the CPU as the culprit.  I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has heard of a similar problem and the resolution.

Dan

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml