From:
Patrick Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:55:15 -0400
Diana,

Who is your ISP??

I used to work as a Tech Rep for Bellsouth FA.  At the time I worked there
there was 1 Ethernet Modem they supported, and that was the Alcatel Speed
Touch Home---Yes that's the simliar name to their USB version too.   I also
follow the Bellsouth Forum over at dslreports.com
(http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ilec,bels).  They are now shipping and
supporting the Westell DSL Ethernet Modem.

Now each ILEC (Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier--Bascially the guy's that
actually own your phone lines) that supports DSL has their own special
settings for each modem.  For Bellsouth this is VPI 8, VCI 35.  Your modem
would have to be programmed for these settings for your modem to be able to
send data to the DSLAM.  For some modem's this is easy for the end user to
do, for other's not so easy.

I highly suggest you contact your ISP's customer support department.   They
should allow you to order it, even though it might set you back a pretty
penny :).

--Patrick Black

> Hi,
>
> We would like to purchase a good quality, fast ethernet DSL
> modem.  The one we have from our ISP is slower than the first one
> we got from them which is a USB modem.  We are going to network
> three desktops and a laptop and would like to use the 802.11g,
> 2.4 GHz LinkSys Network system, but it doesn't support USB
> modems.  We don't want to use the ethernet one that we have and
> were hoping to get a retail ethernet DSL that is fast.  Does
> anyone have a recomendation?

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>