From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 21:41:56 -0500
Greetings Al & list--
----- Original Message -----
From: "Al Welch" <[log in to unmask]>

> A friend has asked me to set up a small home netowrk - 2 Dell Desktops and a
> Dell Laptop - all running Win98SE
>
> They have Comcast Cable.  They are buying a cable router w/4 outlets.  Each
> room has a cable outlet.  Does the modem have to be physically placed where
> the cable comes into the house?
>
> Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

As long as there is adequate signal strength at a room's cable outlet, it can be
used as the source of the cable internet signal.  I set up a similar small network
at a local pharmacy.  The only difference is that (in a sense), the owner's cable
modem was placed where the cable entered the building.  I simply ran the
additional cable needed to his other two computers through walls and ceiling,
installed keystones and wall plates, and performed the necessary router and
client configurations, most of which was easy using the XP wizards in one case,
and tweaking a couple of local IP address settings in another.  In my own home, I
have actually placed a 1-2 splitter between the input cable and the modem,
allowing me to run a TV in the same room with the modem.  The TV reception
is not optimal, but I attribute this to a less-than-top-quality splitter.  The cable
internet signal shows no sign of degradation.  I routinely download at between
200 and 300 kbps, though, as you may be aware, there are a number of factors
which make this variable.

To recap...the primary concern is signal strength and quality.  The Comcast people
should be able to tell you if your outlets are putting out a) enough signal and b)
clean signal.  In any case, if you have the parts, I would recommend that you
give it a try.

Good luck, and HTH,

Paul A. Shippert

---