From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 10:22:38 -0600
At 09:22 AM 09/05/2000 , John Miller wrote:
>Eric,
>
>1) If you use a DSL Router do you then need a DSL modem in each
>computer, above and beyond a NIC(Network Interface Cards) ?

The DSL router sits between your current network and the
DSL modem.  The router provides a firewall coming in and
access for each PC on your network going out.  Only one
modem required to access the Internet.

>2) Why would you have 2 NICs in one machine? (Do You use the same
>protocol?)

When using Proxy or Gateway software, the gateway machine
on your network, the machine running the software, requires a
network card to access your existing network AND a network
card to access out to the DSL modem, both using separate
protocols.   That way data moves through the DSL modem
into the Gateway network card to the Gateway software.  Then
the other PCS on your network access out their network cards
to the LAN network card in the Gateway PC, through the
Gateway software and out the Gateway network card to the
DSL modem.

The router allows all the PCs to access the router to the
DSL modem direct, without going to the Gateway PC.  That
allows you to remove the Gateway network card from
the former Gateway PC, as it no longer is the Gateway,
the Router becomes the Gateway.

>3) Are there any Internet applications that will run on a DSL Router
>that will not run on a Proxy Server, or vice-versa?

The DSL router allows access to all ports and I have not seen any
Internet software that cannot access through a router.   As far
as the Gateway software, that depends on the software package
you use.  I used WinGate for years and never found any thing that
could not access out with it.

The big difference was that with WinGate, all the network clients
had to route through the Gateway PC, which slowed their access.
Routing directly to the Router sped up the access of all the PCs
on the network.   They no longer needed to engage Wingate for

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>