From:
Matt Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:59:55 -0600
Ray and Angie Davis wrote:

> Thank You, I looked to be sure that everything was connected, yesterday. I
> didn't think to check for loose wires. That was the problem! (Sometimes
> things are so simple!) Now that it recognizes the A drive, I rebooted using
> the boot disk and it takes me to an A prompt. Is there something I am
> suppose to type in here to be able to load windows?

Here is a blow by blow set of steps for how
I recently installed win95. Others may have
better/different steps, but this worked for me
after some trial and error.

Step 1.
Boot the system using a Windows 95 boot diskette.

If you have lost it or it does not have the appropriate
CD ROM drivers on it then you can get a boot disk from
www.bootdisk.com that will have a generic CD ROM
driver on it. (That is what I had to do).

As the system boots off the floppy you should see
something like this:

MSCDEX Version 2.XX
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1986-1995. All rights reserved.
     Drive R: = Driver SOMETHING unit 0
A:\>

The drive letter may be different on your set up.
The important thing is to note the drive letter
following that MSCDEX statement. In my case it
is drive R:

Step 2.

Enter the following command. I am including the
prompt you will see with each of the commands I
ask you to enter. This is for reference. You should
not enter the prompt as part of the command.

A:\>fdisk

Within fdisk create a Primary DOS partition if one
does not already exist.
(Be careful if you want to keep any existing information
since fdisk allows you to delete existing partitions (drives)
as well as create new ones.)

The important thing here is to make sure there is
a "primary" DOS partition.

After creating this Windows may ask you to restart
the computer. Do so leaving the Windows 95 boot
floppy in the A: drive.

Step 3.

If you had to create a new Primary DOS partition
then you will now need to format it. Enter the
following command to format the C: drive.

A:\>format C:

It will remind you that you are about to erase
all existing data on the C: drive (even if this
DOS partition is freshly created and has no data
on it.)

Enter a label of some sort like WIN95CDRIVE

Step 4.

Here is the interesting step.

Make sure the Windows 95 CD is in the CD ROM drive.

Change to the C: drive you just finished formatting.
A:\>C: <enter>

Your prompt should now be C:\>

Type in these commands:

C:\>mkdir win95
C:\WIN95>cd win95
C:\WIN95>copy R:\win95\*.* C:\win95

Where R: is the drive that showed up following the
MSCDEX command.

Then enter this command to begin win95 installation

C:\WIN95\>setup

Follow the standard win95 installation directions from
there.

Let us know how you are getting on.

Cheers,

matt