From:
John Pinter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 22:15:40 -0500
One possible way to solve your problem may be to insure that your
Windows operating system is current by visiting Microsoft's web site.
 Actually, though, O/S upgrades could as easily be a source of freeze
problems as a cure.  I found that as I upgraded Windows XP Home Edition
(and installed other software), the odd behaviors, like not being able
to shut down, increased.  Finally I checked the web site of the
manufacturer of my PC motherboard -- and found that the BIOS on my
generic PC was down level at the time I'd purchased it.

Your BIOS source and version are usually displayed at the beginning of
the boot-up.  The mobo or BIOS manufacturer lists on his web site the
fixes or improvements available with an upgrade, so you can make a
judgment whether the problems you're experiencing are the same or
similar to what the upgrade addresses.  If you elect to upgrade, it may
be possible to "flash" it to your BIOS ROM with a free download, as mine
is, or you may have to spend a couple dollars to purchase a replacement
ROM chip (they're plug-in devices).  In either case you may want to pay
a PC repair shop to do the work, if you're uncertain how to do the
upgrade.  Net expense could range from $0 (do it yourself) to $80 or
$100.  I took the free route and now have a rock solid system -- until
the next O/S upgrade?