From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:07:26 -0800
On 13 Apr 00, at 13:13, Lance W. Kephart wrote:

> I have some users on laptops that go between the LAN (Novell & NT
> combo) and a cable modem (at home internet access).  Things were
> working okay until just recently.  Now one of them cannot get an IP
> renewal when they switch between the different networks.  I
> currently have a couple of simple batch files created that the user
> double-clicks to force a release and renew of the IP address.
>
> It appears to be the laptop by my estimate, seeing as the other
> DHCP machines have no problem....knock on wood.  I plan on
> uninstalling and reinstalling the TCP/IP stack to see if that might
> help.  I've also installed service pack 6a for NT.
>
> Possibly handy info: Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop (P450), NT4 with
> svc pk 6a, 3COM Fast Ethernet 10/100 BASE-TX PCMCIA card, IPX/SPX &
> TCP/IP protocols.
>
> Any ideas what might be causing the IP renewal problem?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Lance Kephart

  I have several users who are in similar situations.  Some use a
shareware program called (I think) Net Switcher to swap between DHCP
and non-DHCP configurations; others use Symantec's Mobile Essentials.
I have provided them with a "release" batch file, but I don;t think
I've seen a renew failure.  [Most are Dell Latitudes; while we have a
few Inspirons deployed, I don't think we plan to buy any more.]

  Do you have enough DHCP server on your network?  I found that
adding a second server (scopes on the same subnet but not
overlapping!) just about eliminated DHCP failures....

David G

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>