From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:19:09 -0500
Hello folks,

I was looking at a friend's 15" Dell UltraScan (15FS model, I think), and I
noticed that there seemed to be a rather generous margin around the desktop.
I tried to increase the size of the desktop with the monitor's adjustment
controls, but they were already maxed out.  I tried some different refresh
rates but this didn't change things that much.  It also seemed that the
monitor didn't like the highest refresh rates (85mhz) even at 800x600 and
640x480, as the parts of the screen developed a flicker or unsteadiness to
them.

These problems seemed to be present both with the original computer that
came with the monitor (486 era) and a somewhat newer computer with a Matrox
Mystique video card.

I'm assuming that this monitor is just wearing out, as it is probably about
five years old.  I was wondering if these sound like typical symptoms of a
monitor reaching the end of its life span.

TIA,

John

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html