From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:04:00 -0400
Sharon wrote:

>PC acting weird. Clicked on internet and popped up with message of IE has
run into problem, has to close. Tried to click on internet again, got same
message and it closed itself. Rebooted and system seems to have run through
a check, fixed whatever it was on its own (went by too quickly to see) then
popped up with the following: DLL C:\windows\system32\comres.dll is not a
valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.
Attempted system restore (the only trick we know) but it won't open. Ran
AVG, and it agreed with the pop up, something had changed in system32. But
what? Can anyone recommend a download to fix? We aren't comfortable with
altering the registry and dont want to lose all of our info by running the
recovery disk if we don't have to. Thanks!

If memory and a quick internet search serve me correct, if you need to
recover Windows files, just use System File Checker. Go to Start, Run, and
type in sfc /scannow. You'll need your recovery CD. If your CD player is set
to auto-run, hold down the 'Shift' key when inserting to bypass the
executable for running restore.
Also, here is a link to a downloadable file;
http://www.dlldump.com/dll-files/C_6.html (file is part of XP SP2), or try;
http://www.geocities.com/xux99/comres.dll.zip. Be sure to unzip or install
the file in the root directory. (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32)

Chris Ryan