From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 15:31:27 -0700
On 22 Jun 99, at 10:34, Mark Rode wrote:

> This kind of heat this fast suggests that your board is not set up for a
> dual voltage chip.....are you attempting to run this on a single voltage
> board ? If so it won't take long to damage it and it will eventually die.

> >I have a K6-233 that I am trying to install in a machine that is using a
> >California Graphics Photon 100 HC motherboard. Previously, I had this chip
> >in a FIC PA-2013 and it ran flawlessly. Now, when I transferred it ti the
> >Photon, making sure the jumpers were correct, the chip overheats very
> >quickly, until the motherboard's heat sensor sounds the alarm.
> >Chuck Hassenplug

  No, the Photon 100 is a Super-7 board, one of the first to support 100 MHz
FSB.  Which makes me wonder if maybe the FSB speed is jumpered for 100 even
though the -233 was designed to run at 66.
  I know, Chuck says "making sure the jumpers were correct", but I've worked
with a few boards where it took several tries to correctly match the manual
to the board.  Over voltage or over frequency *could* cause excessive heat.

David G

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org