From:
Kevin Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:36:07 +0100
Okay, the computer should be ok at normal room temperature, but you should make sure that the exhaust fan at the rear has enough room to extract the heat (ie. not up close to a wall etc).  The main components that suffer from overheat are the processor and memory, symptoms of overheat would be crashes/blue screens and long beeps on startup.  If you are comfortable with using your BIOS, that should tell you what your motherboard and CPU temperatures are or optionally get hold of  some software (Sisoft Sandra for instance) and that will tell you what the temps are.  CPU becomes critical over 65 degrees I believe, unless you have a very powerful computer I doubt you will be reaching these temperatures.  Just make sure the fans on your base unit are not obstructed and free from dust. Hope that helps.

Kev

Hi,
Ok, this is going to be a really dumb question but here goes. I've had to
move my computer under my wooden office desk and I can feel the heat coming
off the unit when its running. How can I tell if it's going to be too hot
under there for it? At what temp. does the machine start to over heat
because of room temp.?
Thanks for any and all help you can give me.
Regina Long

PCBUILD's List Owners:
Bob Wright
Drew Dunn