From:
"Mr. Yui" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 22:37:30 -0700
MSDOS.SYS is still in the root directory as a hidden text file and it still has functionality for startup options. It's still used prior to loading win9x. With MSDOS.SYS you can make a couple of minor changes to force a DOS 7.0
boot w/o the GUI just like the old days. You can force options that would normally be in autexec.bat & config.sys. Command.com is only needed now if you actually use the DOS interface since win9x has its GUI. IO.SYS & MSDOS.SYS were both
merged into just IO.SYS. All of these are root directory system files.
-yui shin
 Allen D Montgomery wrote:I understand that MSDOS.SYS used to be the DOS kernel in Windows 3.X and below. Starting with Windows 95, it has become a text file, and no longer serves that purpose.

Where is the DOS kernel located in Windows 95 and beyond?

Allen D. Montgomery

PCBUILD's List Owners:
Bob Wright
Drew Dunn