From:
Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 21:56:30 +0200
Hello Conor,

>> There's a 5 PCI/2 ISA/1 AGP version, a 6PCI/1 ISA/1 AGP version,
>>and a 6 PCI/1 AGP version (no ISA for you!).  What does this mean you may
>>ask?

CM> I may, and I do. What *does* this mean?

PCI, ISA and AGP are three different standards for extension slots
[this is where you plug the additional cards for your PC : video,
modem, sound, TV and generally anything that is a printed board, but
not the memory].

ISA is the oldest and the PC industry is trying to forget it, but it
is cheap to implement so most simple boards (for example, the board
that allows you to use a second printer] are mostly ISA. The current
industry choice is PCI, and AGP is for video cards since it allows a
direct access to memory for the card plugged in it.

These are not interchangeable and as a rule you won't be able to
insert a card in the wrong slot without breaking the slot [and/or the
card, and/or the motherboard].

CM> What are PCI components, please?
All of the additional cards that are present in the computer that
are plugged into PCI slots.

CM> 5/2/1? ... And one AGP port for sticking in your
CM> video card so it works better?
You deciphered it correctly, and AGP slot is indeed for video card.
But sticking a video card in AGP slot is not a good idea unless this
card is designed for AGP.

There are video cards for ISA and PCI slots, and they usually work
slower than AGP cards, so AGP is good, but (I know I repeat myself)
only AGP cards can use AGP slots.

If you're ordering a video card, you must specify a slot you plan to
use it in. Be aware that some cards exist in only one configuration,
and many motherboards with on-board graphics do not have the AGP slot.

CM> JumperFree is the Asus configuration menu? Does the manual tell you how to
CM> set it?
It should. Don't know about Asus, but Abit's description of SoftMenu
[essentially the same thing but different name] is good but you have
to know the basics since most terms like FSB, multiplier and core
voltage are usually presented without explanation.

+=-.
| Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
| [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
| FAX (413)431-4014               ICQ 2386792
|
| Freelance website and graphics designer
| Visit my site : http://maxwd.hypermart.net
|
| Editor - Graphics artist
| NOSPIN group