From:
"Michael A. Wosnick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 21:32:59 -0400
I do not consider the GeForce Ultra to be a true "product". To the best of
my knowledge, it was more of a "bragging rights" release, since the very
high speed DDR memory that the demos came with is extremely rare and very
expensive. If there are any real Ultras even shipping yet, you can bet they
will be few and far between. I do not believe NVDIA will be able to actually
produce these cards in quantity, at least not at a price that anyone will
pay.

The Radeon represents far better value in my opinion. All old concerns with
ATI are out the window with the Radeon. Driver updates have been good and
fast, reviews have been splendid. Feature set is far superior. Performance
is excellent. Radeons are wining all kinds of technical excellence awards,
including best of show in two venues, one in US and one in Europe.

Disclosure: I am an ATI  shareholder, but I do not think that mars my
objectivity.

Cheers,

Michael

Oh, and by the way, Drew, NVIDIA is nowhere near eclipsing ATI as the
leading graphics supplier. They may be encroaching on ATI's PC desktop
business, but the laptop/notebook market is over 50% ATI, 0% NVDIA. The
Apple market is 100% ATI, 0% NVDIA. ATI is also in set-top boxes, and soon
in game consoles (Nintendo). Overall, ATI is still a far bigger company than
NVDIA, and with Radeon, it looks like they will not give up any further
market share easily.