From:
Donald Rex Gaither <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 12:10:26 -0500
Hi,
        As to your speed, it is probably a conflict in standards.  There are three
different 56K specifications.  Rockwell invented the K56FLEX, USR invented
the X2, and the ITU created the V.90 from the two (the ITU is the actual
official standards group for telecommunications).  It sounds like your old
ISP was using K56Flex, so you got 38k/40k.  Now, you are using an ISP who
uses a different standard, and your modem is having to fall back to 33.6k
(the last ITU standard it has).  This would cause the sudden drop in speeds.
Look on Harmonies web site to see if there is an update from K56Flex to
V.90.  Your driver and updater are looking for V.90 and getting K56Flex,
hence the errors.

HTH,
Donald Gaither