From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 12:51:59 -0500
From: Ding Marcelo :Subject: [PCBUILD] SCSI workstation

> Good Morning Everyone,
>
> I just converted my system from IDE to SCSI and some hardware are not
> workingand thi is my set-up.
>
> OS : WINDOWS 98   Build 4.10.1998
> MoBo : ABIT BE-6
> CPU : P3-550 Katmai
> Memory : Micron 128MB PC-100 CAS 2
> Video: Matrox G-400MAX
> Sound: Monster MX-300
> Modem : Supra 56K SPi V.90
> SCSI Controller : TEKRAM-DC-390U2W
> FLoppy Disk : TEAC
> IDE- 1  Master : Quantum KA+ 13.6GB
>           Slave   : WD Caviar 6.4GB
> IDE-2  Master : Creative DVD-5X/32X
>
> On Start -Up screen
> ID-7 -   SCSI controller: Tekram
> ID-0  -  Quantum ATLAS III 18.0GB 72K LVD/SE 68-pin
> ID-2 -   HP Photosmart  SCSI-2 Scanner
> ID-3 -   Iomega ZIP 100 SCSI-2
> ID-5 -   Plextor CD-ROM 40X
> ID-6 -   Plextor CD-R  8X/20X
>
> In Windows Explorer the letters are :
>
> Quantum 13.6 is partition C-  Active
>                                       D- Extended
>                                       E- Logical
>                                       F- Logical
>
> WD 6.4 partition into G - logical
>                                H - Logical
> ZIP-100                     I
> Creative  DVD            J
> CD-Rom                    K
> CD-Recorder              L
>
> I want to make my Quantum 18 GB partition into 4 and set as Boot disk
> and it is not seen by MB Bios on boot up. the Zip drive ,CD-ROM and CD->R
are not working only the HP scanner is working. I can access both IDE
> hard disk and DVD player.

> How do I partition and format the SCSI Drive and set it as Boot Drive:
> C- Active w/ D as Extended and E/F as logical and  remapped all my drive
> letters.
>
> The SCSI LVD Drive is terminated w/ LVD cable & LVD internal terminator
> 68 pin and SCSI-2 50 pin cable is  terminated w/ internal active
> terminator and the HP scanner w/ external active termination
>
> Please help !! I have consulted  some local tech and they are not
> familiar with this kind of set-up.
>
> It 's use primarily  for photo editing in PhotoShop 5.5 and web surfing.
>
> Thank you
>
> Ding Marcelo

The Abit BE-6 BIOS has an option to select the boot order.  In the "Bios
Features" sub menu, "Boot Sequence" select "A,C,EXT". Then under "Boot
Sequence EXT Means" to "SCSI".  This will allow you to boot from your scsi
drive.  The drive must be partitioned and formatted and the boot drive set
as active before you will be able to boot from it.  You will need to add
drivers for you Tekram card to your boot disk to do this. SCSI peripherals
will not show up in your motherboard BIOS, they show up on the SCSI cards
BIOS.  I am curious how you have the scanner, 2 cd roms and the zip drive
daisey chained, as this card does not have an external connector for SCSI-2
50 pin devices.  The card does not have external and internal connectors for
the SCSI-2 50 pin bus, so I do not understand why the HP scanner and the
cd-roms are terminated.  I would suspect a termination problem as the reason
that your cd-roms and zip drive are not accesible.  With more information on
how these drives are attached to the card and diasey-chained together,
someone should be able to help figure out any termination problems that you
might have.

Mary Wolden

         The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering the NOSPIN
        File Download CD, Abit's Gentus Linux, Linux Power CD and
      the RedHat Linux CD.  All CDs are always provided at COST!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions