From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 23:15:13 -0500
On Friday 21 March 2003 09:04 pm, Robert Zeoli wrote:
> Hi
>
> I thought I could do an upgrade of my PII 200MMX system that I bought as a
> barebones in 98.  The mother board is an 8500TVG socket 7.  I bought an AMD
> K6-2 500MHz socket 7 CPU and installed it. On boot I got what sounded like
> 2 quick beebs then three evenly, longer spaced beebs.  Then it rebooted
> over again.
>
> Further investigation revealed that this CPU requires 100MHz Bus Speed
> (5.0x multiplier and a core voltage of 2.0v.  Any thoughts on a AT MB to
> get me out this mess? thanks
> Bob Zeoli

Bob:
Before you spend any more dollars and time on this project, be aware that you
may have smoked your CPU unless you used a socket adapter. As built, the
motherboard supplied 3.3 to 3.5 volts to the CPU, but the AMD K6-2 series
required both 2.2 and 3.3 volts be supplied. The socket adapter was a
gismotch that sat between the CPU and the CPU socket, and provided the
correct voltages. More details can be found at:
www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20010212/index.html

While there are still some AT boards out there in flea markets and obsolete
bins, I'm dubious that any manufacturer is currently producing them. In fact,
there wasn't much of a choice three years ago when I last bought one.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml