From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2010 08:01:26 -0700
Hi Ralph,

This is most likely a problem with the PC itself not starting up. If the
monitor does not receive valid video signals from the computer, it will
go into a standby mode.

If the PC does not even come up to the point of driving BIOS messages to
the monitor, then something serious is wrong. It could be a bad power
supply, CPU, memory, video card, motherboard, etc. In some cases, where
the PC tries to start but detects certain problems, like bad or no
memory or a bad video card, then most PC's will issue a series of beeps
out the internal speaker. This series of beeps is a code that can give a
clue to the problem.

Do you get any beeps? If not, then you need to start at the beginning,
the easiest thing to check is the power supply. Do any of the fans or
hard drives spin up? If not, then the supply is likely bad. Even if they
do, it could still be bad on some of its supplies that feed power to the
CPU but not the fans and drives. There are methods to testing the
supplies that you can search for on the web.

The next step, if the supply checks out would be to make sure all
internal components and cables are properly inserted and seated, such as
power supply cables, memory, video and other plug-in cards, and CPU.

If these steps still don't work, then troubleshooting gets more
complicated, requiring ways to test the CPU and motherboard which
usually requires a spare component to swap out with. By this time you
have to start asking yourself if it is time to just buy or build a new
computer.

Good Luck.

Russ Poffenberger

On 6/15/2010 3:49 PM, Ralph Hunter wrote:
> When I turn on the computer the monitor says, check power signal and shuts off. What can I do. I have switched monitors and have switched the power cords. It is Windows xp. Also the computer does not shut off with the power button on the front. I have to unplug it.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml