From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:54:40 -0700
  I can't think of a reason why drives should run significantly hotter in a
RAID configuration than not.  Most of the heat comes from the motor and
bearings, and the drive is spinning even when it's not being read or
written.

  That said, I think RAID 0 works best with drives of equal capacity and
performance.  I don't think you've said whether you plan to use a hardware
RAID controller or software for this job; my guess is that hardware will
give better performance, but be less forgiving of mismatches.

David Gillett

On 14 Jul 2005 at 8:12, James Oliveira wrote:

Date sent:              Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:12:56 +0000
Send reply to:          PCBUILD - Personal Computer Hardware discussion List
From:                   James Oliveira <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                [PCBUILD] Question regarding RAID.
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Hello all, I am planning on running a RAID 0 Setup on 2 hard drives WD
> 74gb 10k RPM Raptor and 250gb 7200rpm WD. My questions are as follows.
> 1.) Will it "overheat" per se, because I've seen things such as HD
> coolers meant for RAID set up's but its 50$ so i was wondering if it
> would be necessary in a 5 fan cooling case.
> 2.) Is it even worth doing? and if so will noise be a necessary issue
> to tackle (i've heard they get "loud" but I have nevr had experiance
> with that so what is "LOUD" in computers? I dont want it sounding like
> a lawnmower loud but for example the 5 fans running at 24 Dbs dont
> bother me... So i dunno heh any help?
> THanks!!

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml