From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 17:32:22 -0600
I plucked this from the PlanetUnreal home page (http://www.planetunreal.com)
today:

---------
I received an email from Chris saying his properly-clocked Voodoo2 got fried
by Unreal:
I'll probably wait 6 weeks at the least for the replacement, but it's clear
that unreal burnt my card. Diamond TechSup confirms this is a recurrent
problem.

Basically this comes down to heat. Yes, Unreal pushes 3D cards harder than
any other game on the market - that's why it looks so much better than any
other game on the market. Because your Voodoo2 gets such a workout, it
generates more heat than it does when you're playing Quake2, but for a
non-faulty card to fail, it has to be run outside the operating temperature
range. That's why some people can overclock their Voodoo2s without any
problem - because in their computer case, their Voodoo2 still operates
inside the manufacturer's heat specs. If you've got a Voodoo2, keep an eye
on the amount of heat generated, keep as much space around the card as you
can, but even so, it's still possible to have problems with a properly
clocked card if your case has inadequate airflow. The bottom line is watch
the temperature of your Voodoo2 and you won't have any problems playing
Unreal.

Could be something similar.  I've got a regular VooDoo card and it gets
toasty.  My friends' cards get hotter.  Make very sure that you've got some
air, make that AIR flowing around that card!

Drew Dunn
Check out the BurbCam!
http://adsl24.bois.uswest.net/drew/hood.html