From:
Holli Van Nest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:27:06 -0500
Dear PCBuild Folks,

> On 12 Mar 99, at 13:05, Holli Van Nest wrote:

> > Every 5 minutes or so, the computer tries to read the floppy drive,
> > and there's no disk in it.  The drive spins away for about 10
> > seconds, then stops.  Five minutes later, it starts again.  It
> > doesn't seem to be causing any problem, but the user finds it
> > annoying.  Any suggestions?

On March 17, Dave Gillett responded:

>   This sounds kind of like some kind of "disk change" polling or
> antivirus scan.  I'd fire up REGEDIT and search for reverences to
> "A:"....

Thanks for the suggestion.  I ran regedit and found several
references to a:.  Some of them were to old files that had been
opened from a disk, so I deleted those references.

Three of the references were for MRU.  One was in HKEY_CURRENT_USER,
InstallLocationsMRU.  The other two were in HKEY_USERS, Default,
Windows, RunMRU and referenced a setup.exe file.  And I don't know
what these files are, and whether this is where the issue is.
Should I try deleting these references too?  Or changing them
somehow?  The reference reads:  "a:\setup\1" and "a:\setup.exe\1".
Not real familiar with what the references in the registry mean.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Holli

*********
Holli Van Nest