From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 03:03:50 -0600
From: Brad Loomis :Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] SCSI drive install problems-
update II

> > Hi Brad
> >
> > You didn't mention the Zip drive and scanner. Your total
> > cable length is waaaaay too long.
> Hi Bill and anyone else interested.
> Yes siree, that was the problem. After futzing around with this I noticed
> that the LED on the host would stay on all the time. Then the Zip, piece
of
> crap that it is but that is another story, didn't show up in the BIOS
scan.
> So I disconnected the 50 pin, installed one Seagate, low level formatted
> (55min), and shazzam, all is installed. I then changed jumpers and
installed
> the second Seagate, LL format, and then with Partition Magic 5 I created a
> 200 MB FAT 32 partition for my swap file. I'll do the IBM tomorrow.
>
> I still have one hiccup, and that is that the swap partition still shows
up
> as 0MB free, with a 0 minimum, 2147483647 maximum in the Virtual memory
> dialog set up. Got an idea on that? As of now, I have a 200MB DOS
partition
> on the first that holds DOS 6.22 with System Commander, then a 2GB FAT16
for
> Windows, and a 2GB FAT 32 Apps partition. Apparently I'll have to jump
> through some hoops to convert the Windows to FAT32 with System Commander.
> Could that be the problem with the swap partition on the second drive?
>
> My scanner Cable is from HP and cost almost as much as a Granite. I had
> planned on some day getting a separate controller for the Fast devices, I
> guess that day is here sooner. I also ordered a Turbo Cool 350 ATX from
> PC,P&C.
> Thanks again so very much.
> Brad Loomis

Brad,

I am not sure if this is causing your problem or not but FAT32 does not
support drives smaller than 512 MB and any partition that is over 512 MB is
marked as a FAT32 partition if you enable large disk support.  See MS KB
articles Q154997 & Q192322. You stated that "and then with Partition Magic 5
I created a 200 MB FAT 32 partition for my swap file", if Win98 doesn't
support a partition this small as FAT32, then changing it back to FAT16
should correct your 0 reading for free space in virtual memory.

One other suggestion, with 3 SCSI drives in your case if you find that your
case is still hot, PC Power & Cooling has an external fan that can be added
on the outside of the power supply to improve the draw through the case
keeping it cooler.  It uses an external plug and does not need to use any of
the available power from the power supply.  10,000rpm drives run hot.  I
installed one on my system and it dropped the internal temp over 10 degrees.
My internal case temp now runs about 43c on average.

Mary Wolden

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org