From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 15:03:09 -0500
Hi,

Sometimes the DMA mode for the cd-rom in question can make a differnce
in how it is reading the Drive data.

What ever your setting is for the Plextor, try the other and see if that
changes your reading results.

Personally, I'd wait till after May to purchase a DVD writer.  Standards
should be in play and all makes should be on the same page.  Probably
some bargain prices on older models also if you don't care about the
standards.

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore

Perhaps this is not necessarily a PROBLEM, but only a strange nuisance.
recently ran into an audio CD that refused to be recognized in my
Plextor
12/10/32A CDRW drive. I tried the CD in other CDROM drives and another
brand
of CD writer and all were able to read the audio disc. I installed the
latest firmware on my Plextor drive and tried again. Same result - reads
other discs fine, but not this particular CD. At work, I have several
other
Plextor drives of the same model. Strangely, the results were the same -
none of the Plextor drives could read the disc, while other brands
could.

Plextor customer support claims that the Plextor drive "will reject
marginal
discs rather than trying to read bad data". The disc has no scratches,
and
is almost new. I admit that this is the first disk that the Plextor
could
not read - actually, I did have problems early on, but after updating
the
firmware I have not had problems till now. Has anyone else had a similar
experience? The strange part is that other brands read it while none of
the
Plextors do!

While I am at it, are there any recommendations for or against the
DVD/CDRW
drives? Brands?

Peter

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: