From:
A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 14:06:03 -0700
> Can Alan Thompson please explain what is happening when pstores.exe is
> removed and replaced?
>
> Demetri Kolokotronis
>
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:53:23 -0700 A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
> writes:
> >
> > Try cutting and pasting PSTORES.exe from \windows\system to your
> > desktop. Then see if scandisk will run without interruption. Do not
> > forget to return PSTORES.exe to windows\system afterwards!! hth
-------------

Back when I was running Win95, I was determined to figure out what was interrupting scandisk so I
could run it without rebooting to safe mode. After running the full battery of tests at
www.pcpitstop.com , I was given a complete list of program names (& their locations) that were
running at the time - including those that are not shut down using ctrl-alt-del. Using the process
of elimination, it became clear that two programs were still running even after shutting down
everything except explorer and systray - namely, pstores.exe and tapiexe.exe. After cutting &
pasting the files to my desktop, I never had a problem with scandisk interruption again.
PSTORES.exe is a protected storage server, and TAPIEXE.exe is a telephony app programming interface
program. Exactly what these files do I don't know, but one time I forgot to put them back into
\windows\system after scandisk, and upon reboot my PC ran very, very slowly. Once I figured out my
mistake, I returned the files to \windows\system and all was fine. Now I'm running WinME and I
still see pstores.exe on my machine, but tapiexe.exe is not present. Even with WinME, scandisk
still gets interrupted with pstores.exe in \windows\system, but when I remove it, scandisk runs
fine. This is one of those things you'll never learn from a book. Why anyone would have problems
running scandisk in safe mode is beyond me, but I thought it might help to share my experience.
Hope this helps someone. Good day.

Alan Thompson

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com