Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 08:55:31 +0000
        Hi.

> I apologize for having posted what may have seemed a cryptic personal
> message to this list.  One of the list moderators has asked me to expand on
> this experience.
>
> I had posted a couple days before that I was unable to get a mono card to
> work on a linux box.  The problem was a simple one indeed---the card was
> bad, as evidenced by replacing it with a known working card from an XT
> clone.
>
> I am still flying high---it's really, really nice to be able to have  some
> documentation open on another monitor.  The hardware is cheap, there is a
> linux kernel patch that works pretty well.
>
> X11 can be running as the active interface on the Matrox Millenium svga card,
> while the amber monitor still updates any active processes on that "virtual
> terminal".   SVGA output from gnuplot running on the mono console is
> displayed on the color svga monitor.  X11 does blank out when one has
> switched to the mono terminal.  The monitors are a Mag Innovision DJ530 15"
> SVGA monitor and a Goldstar 12" amber mono monitor.
>
> I post this information in the hopes it is helpful and interesting,
> apologizing for bandwidth I may have wasted.
>
> Alan

        I'll try the patch you say some day.
        On what I had tried, there was a courious way of doing with the SVGA
X server: on X you had the two monitors at the time. Moving the mouse cursor
out from each monitor on left and right it appeared on the other monitor, and
so on; this was the only thing which worked well. You had graphics on both,
using separate hard addresses for the VGA and the Hercules; what you say above
should work on MDA+VGA.
        For people wanting to try this, they should get a monochrome adapter
whenever they can, since they are no more being manufactured.

Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]

Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1
Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1
     (ln(-1) is complex, but exists)