From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 08:47:21 -0500
From: "Ryel, Raymond L NWP" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 9:23 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Replace 486

> Hi folks,
>  I am going to replace my mothers old 486 system but I can't decide
between
> a barebones ASUS a7v133 and new monitor or simply get a complete system. I
> have done the 'replace mobo' on my system but I'm no tech and I'm a bit
> scared about getting into installing the hard drive and unsure of what
might
> come up.

Installing a hard drive is very easy. It is loading the software and getting
everything
to work together that is difficult.  If you can replace a mb without
problems, you
should be able to do anything hardware-related.  I have an asus a7v133.  On
mine
everything went very smoothly.  On my wife's I spent two days trying to get
Windows ME to work.  (Our systems were almost exactly the same.)  The
problem was the hard drive was too fast and the s/w could not keep up.

>Any experience or guidance would be appreciated. Also any advice on
> online buying experiance. The 'pricewatch' thing seems to offer lowest bid
> but also lowest quality with no return or service. Kind of like take it
and
> shut up even if it doesn't work. Has it worked for you?

You can get service or low price, but rarely the same.   Go to
www.resellerratings.com  for people's opinions.  Sometimes the pricewatch
sellers lowball you and then hit you with a high shipping.  I think they
have a tough job.  I'll bet a lot of people mess up the stuff (static
electricity
etc.) and then want to return it.  I find that the local COMPUSA is very
good price-wise on some things and not so good on others.  They have
a generous return policy, too.

> Thanks
> Raymond Ryel

I have found over the years that I do not save money by assembling a
computer myself, but I am better able to get quality components for
the same price.  Plus it is fun;  well most of the time.  Also, when
something goes wrong, you can fix it instead of paying $70/hr for
labor.

Be sure to check the PCBUILD web site for advice.

Dean Kukral  [log in to unmask]

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml