From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:26:50 -0500
> Date:    Fri, 24 Feb 2006 22:44:09 -0500
> From:    Dan Deucalion <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Buzz Sound At Bootup
>
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:04:35 -0600, Dean Kukral
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >Dan, you probably do not have a "problem" at all.  You most likely
> >have a variable speed cooling fan on your cpu.  When the cpu is
> >heavily used, the fan speeds up and may become quite noisy.  Now, if
> >the noise seems inappropriate ( buzz?), so as to indicate bad fan
> >bearings, then you might have a fan problem.
> >
> >I can tell you that my fan is quite loud at boot time.
> >
> >Dean Kukral, [log in to unmask]
> >

> Dean - Thanks for the tip but I disabled the cpu fan and still
> got the noise.  I have disabled every movable part that I can
> think of except for the cpu.  That's why I suspect that that's
> the source of the noise altho it doesn't seem logical to me.
>
> Dan

There's still one more moving part, the PSU fan. Can you briefly stop it
from spinning (say, with a toothpick?) at bootup just long enough to rule
that out? Otherwise I'm thinking a capacitor on the MB is starting to act
up. Have you left the case open and tried to listen during boot up to see if
you can pinpoint the noise?

Chris Ryan
E-Mail: