Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:03:46 +1300
Sounds to me like you have Power Saving activated, which can cause all kinds of inappropriate computer behaviour.  The first thing I do when I service or build a computer is deactivate this annoying facility.  Many techs seem to agree that this 'service' is something most computers don't need.

Right click the desktop, click Properties, then select the screen saver tab.  In the lower half of that screen is the control for Power Saving.  Click the button (usually labelled Power) and in the three or four selector boxes (depending on the OS), select each to 'NEVER'.

Either select 'Save As' and call it 'Obiwan's Custom-made Power Saving Killer' or just Save it and exit.

There may be another factor here but it's worth doing this anyway.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand