Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 19:40:19 -0700
I do not know much about this model, however have had similar problems with
a Color II (1995).  After going out and buying a new ink jet I set out to
fix or destroy the old one for a college student (my kid).  New ink
cartridges registered as empty on the control panel immediately after they
were installed.

First , I carefully cleaned all the visible and easily accessible parts.  I
then lifted the lid of the cartridge bays and closed them firmly to reseat
the cartridges.  Regular cleaning attempts had failed.  So I held the
cleaning keys (one at a time) for both the color and black ink cartridges
for 1 minute intervals.  After the first attempt I got a faint print, so
what the heck.  I repeated this procedure and with each successive attempt
the print job was clearer.  After about the fourth attempt the printer
handles print jobs like new.  Make sure you are not printing in economy and
condensed modes.

Eric Heath