From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 07:54:47 -0800
  I don't see a "Make This Folder Private" choice anywhere.  Oh, wait...

  Under Tools|Folder Options|View, there is a choice "Use simple file
sharing (recommended)", which I always turn OFF.  The "Make This Folder
Private" entry, greyed out, is visible only if that option is checked.
  I haven't experimented with the ramifications of that state -- does the
greyed-out mean that the folder is private by default, or does it mean that
you cannot make it private until you have done something else?

David Gillett

On 17 Jan 2007 at 16:19, Diane Kroeckel wrote:

Date sent:      	Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:19:38 -0600
Send reply to:  	Personal Computer Hardware discussion List
From:           	Diane Kroeckel <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:        	[PCBUILD] users XP
To:             	[log in to unmask]

> David,
>
> When I right click on a folder, choose Sharing and Security, go to the
> Sharing tab,  Make This Folder Private is grayed.  So how can I make it
> private?
>
> Diane Kroeckel
>
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:45:50 -0800 David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
> writes:
> >   What's in the Recycle Bin is not the actual *accounts*, but the
> > profiles
> > for the accounts -- what's in MY Documents and on the Start Menu and
> > so on.
> >   Through the Control Panel, you can get at a utility for actually
> > creating,
> > modifying, and deleting accounts.  And if you use NTFS, you can
> > right-click
> > on any file or folder and go to the Security tab and restrict the
> > access to
> > that item that any account has (including the ability to modify such
> >
> > permissions...); in the case of folders, you can set permissions
> > which will
> > normally be "inherited" by files and folders contained in the folder
> > you
> > adjust.
> >   So it's possible to block your children's access to folders you
> > don't want
> > them prying into, including the folders within Program Files of
> > applications
> > you don't want them to run.  (Simply not including those
> > applications in the
> > Start Menus of profiles doesn't stop someone from navigating to the
> > folder
> > and double clicking on the name of an .exe, or typing it at the Run
> > prompt
> > (if the account is allowed to use Run.)
> >
> > David Gillett

                     support at our newest website: