From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 12:48:39 -0500
From: Fred Bullock :Subject: [PCBUILD] Shutdown will not powerdown

> We are experiencing a random problem with a pentium 333mh Dell computer
running
> windows 98 SE.  The Dell will randomly hang on shutdown.  We've applied
from
> Microsoft, the Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement (version
> 4,10,0,2222).  Once this supplement is installed the hanging problem goes
away
> only to reappear at some future date, (usually three days or so)
>
> Does anyone know what this supplement is updating?
>
> Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem?
>
> Does anyone have a permanent fix for the above problem?
>
> Thanks in Advance ...

Fred,

This patch has been updated many times with the most recent version on
November 1.  If you downloaded the patch before this date, then get the
newest version of the patch and try it.  Some of the reasons that Win98SE
won't shutdown include a damaged Exit windows sound file, incompatible BIOS
configuration setting, APM or ACPI settings, the Fast shutdown registry key
is enabled, incompatible or damaged device driver and many others. There
have been specific issues with Windows 98SE shutdown and 440LX motherboards
with Phoenix BIOS A07.  Check to see what BIOS version you , the current
BIOS update is A09 dated 1/14/99.  Another fix that has worked for some
users is changing the "Video Off Method" in the BIOS from "DPMS" to "V/H
Sync=Blank" or any other setting than DPMS.  Check to see if you have the
latest video drivers.  Norton Antivirus has also been know to cause this
problem when Auto-Detect is enabled.

The fixes for this bug have been varied depending on the particular
computer, so just keep trying.  Microsoft has a trouble shooting guide for
Win98SE shutdown problems:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q238/0/96.asp , MS KB
article Q238096.

Mary Wolden