From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 11:52:39 +0100
><snip - Win95 2-computer network used to work>

>Here's the problem.
>A while back I took both network cards over to my friends.
>I had one in my computer and the other in his.
>We used the same >cable I have now and everything worked fine.

><snip - Win95 2-computer network doesn't work>

I think the problem lies with the transplanted NIC and PnP.

When I read this question I thought the answer was so obvious
that I would let one of the network gurus explain it clearly,
but I checked back through the digests and there seems to have
been a lot of sympathy and only a little very general advice.

So here is my humble attempt at explanation...

When you first set up your network, Win95 added the new
PnP network card by first of all disabling it, then
finding out where it would fit in the I/O space, then
storing that setting in the NIC's configuration eprom.
Then it saved that information in Win95 and installed
its own drivers correspondingly.

Then you took your card on a visit.
In another (different) machine, Win95 added the new
PnP network card by the same process,
storing that setting in the NIC's configuration eprom.

Then your card came home: Win95 recognises it but doesn't
know it's been away and has a changed personality.

The card is set up for the I/O space of your friend's
machine, which I assume has assigned it a different
I/O port/interrupt channel/base address/whatever.

Your Win95 has drivers that are still trying to talk
to the NIC it used to know.

Solution - in Device Manager, Remove the NIC to make Win95
forget its configuration, then Add New Hardware.
(Or a reboot might autodetect it properly.)

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> WWW Pager http://wwp.mirabilis.com/10120933