From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 12:05:53 -0600
At 06:38 AM 09/14/1999 , Peter Garcia wrote:
>Hello all
>I feel silly that this happened to me since I thought I knew better.........
>
>while copying Windows95 cab files to the harddrive using DOS, the computer was frozen
>for more then 3 minutes.  I have done this exact procedure more times then I remember
>but never had a computer stop like this.  the lights were on but there was no activity,
>and the cursor just blinked.  tried ctl-alt-del but no response.  turned the machine of
>and then back on, and it would not boot.  error message said "non-system disk".  used a
>boot disk to get in then did a DIR on the C drive.   the only thing listed was the
>C:\WIN95 directory I had just created and inside just the files that had copied over
>before I turned the machine on and off.   I have no idea what I did wrong.
>
>since this wasn't supposed to be a complicated manuever, I don't have a backup of the
>client's data.  I'm hesitant to try anything else myself.  can anyone please suggest a
>way for me to recover any data on the harddrive?  TIA

At this point you have a couple of good options yet.
1) remove the drive and slave it into a second computer, therein you may
      be able to access the drive and the files to copy them out for recovery.
2) You can get a copy of Lost & Found from Powerquest to recover the data
      one the drive at:  http://www.powerquest.com   (these are the same people
      who sell Partition Magic).

I hope that helps...

                 Bob Wright