From:
m_sayer_ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 22:58:26 +0100
Is it possible to do a system restore? Just a thought. Maybe worth a try?

Michele Sayer

Hello all!

Yesterday, I was doing some work for a client which involved downloading
some drivers on my main computer and installing them on my laptop. Download
went fine, opened up the laptop's network places, and everything that the
desktop computer shares showed, then disappeared. The desktop dropped off
the network. The desktop is a Dell with lots of muscle and XP Pro. The
network is run through a Linksys router which is doing DHCP for the network.

I can ping the notebook from the desktop, but not the desktop from the
laptop. In the listing of computers on the network, the laptop shows up in
it's workgroup computers screen, but the desktop does not. On the desktop,
nothing shows up in the workgroup computers window. The internet (DSL) does
work from the desktop, but, oddly enough, when I first open the browser
(Firefox 0.9.1), it gets the page correctly and asks to use the dialup
connection to connect. Simple file sharing is off on all computers on the
network. I have checked (again and again) the usual suspects and recreated
the network numerous times from all machines on the network. I've tried with
Zone alarm on and off (the IP address range is designated as a trusted zone
on all machines). All spyware programs (Adaware and Spybot) are up to date,
as is Norton's AV 2004. I've made no hardware or software changes to the
desktop for a few weeks (OK - I installed Half-Life for summer rerun fun
<grin>).

This is one of those problems where, I believe, a checkbox got changed, and
that all will be well once I find it and change it back (I can dream...).
Would anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your time and thought!

Will Stephenson
Acadia Technologies Inc.
mailto:[log in to unmask]

There are as many paths to God as there are people to walk them.

---
Just to clarify; if you've got a virus, it's not from me!