Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 08:27:07 +1000
Thank you for your help.
I have XFree86 "working" on the hercules card.  It's not that bad.
I used the 50/18.43 values.  They work.

The configuration file actually shows a slot for "bandwidth" that I ignored.
Perhaps this be the "total throughput"?

I have tried two different GoldStar monitors.  One of them has a distinct
margin of about 1.7 centimeters around the image.  It is otherwise crisp.
I haven't tried this monitor with any other OS beside linux, so I don't
know, but then again the other GoldStar has at least a nominally full size
display.

The second GoldStar, apparently a newer one, has as distortion problem, with
letters at the top of the screen at least twice as high as those at the
bottom.  There is an adjustment inside, "B+adj".  Do you know what that
means?  A young electronics student at our school took a look at it, but we
didn't want to try the adjustment until we are sure.  (Our high school has a
great three year electronics program---the students travel to other islands
to repair and maintain computers at other schools, and generally do well.)

Thank you again.  Very much...

Alan

--
Alan E. Davis                       Marianas High School (Science Department)
AAA196, Box 10001    [log in to unmask]   http://www.saipan.netpci.com/~adavis