From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 01:08:12 -0700
On 16 Oct 2002, at 14:07, A&C Thompson wrote:

> I really know squat about networking, so here's what I was hoping I could
> do...is it possible to home network the two machines using just a phone
> line cord direct from modem to modem? ( I don't need Internet access for
> machine B - I just want to be able to play games with my son. )

  When you connect a modem to the telephone system, and the modem goes "off
hook", it normally expects to detect a dialtone signal from the phone
system.  (Many modems can be configured to ignore its absense, but this is
rarely necessary or recommended.)
  Similarly, the receiving modem is waiting for a "ring" signal to tell it
to accept the incoming call.

  Neither of these signals is generated by a modem or telephone; they are
provided by the phone carrier's system, or by a local PBX or (telephone)
switch -- which, unless you've been very lucky at a dot-com "gone out of
business" auction, you probably don't have lying around.

  If you have some compelling reason to use existing telephone wiring to
connect these machines, you can purchase "PhoneNet" adaptors for each of
them, but 10/100 ethernet NICs are substantially cheaper (and you already
have one of those!).  To complete the Ethernet connection, you'll need a
"cross-over" Cat5 cable.

David Gillett