Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 21:22:21 +1000
Since there is nobody here likes NTFS, I guess I will be the only one who
likes it (here). For simple reasons:
1) NTFS support "file system recovery", it is more healthy than FAT32
2) NTFS support larger file size than FAT32 (2G FILE SIZE - not partition
size limit under FAT32), who knows I won't need that big size file?
3) I have more management options, plus good security if needed (in fact, I
do need it)

With carefully configed system, use of NTFS won't affect performance much,
locate data files on separate partition will give access to data even system
is totally crashed (simply reinstall OS on its partition). At least for game
play/CD copy, NTFS doesn't slow down system at all (my system even beat
number of similar win9x/FAT32 systems in 3D benchmark - see my result post
at 3dchipset.com when it's back online again).

Here is how I partition my HDD (no disk compress enabled for easy
backup/restore/data recovery):
C: - system, with only win2k itself + IE + Office2k (4G)
D: - partition for Pagefile only (1G), no data access
E: - data file partition, include all my working files, letters, download
files, some saved games ... etc
F: - partition for software, include most of my software installations

I know that when some thing (big) bad happened to win2k, NTFS file system
may be harder to work with because DOS won't see NTFS partitions, but if
win2k was that badly messed up, there is not much DOS can do either.

My $0.04 (it is AU$, about US$0.02) is, there is no reason to fear NTFS, it
is a much better file system than any FAT file system. But, for
inexperienced users, NTFS may not be a good option (keep in mind that win2k
isn't a good option for inexperienced users itself). Before anyone wants to
flame me, I have to say that I'm not experienced user either, I'm just a guy
who know a little bit of "everything".

Jun Qian

MCP, PC support, Bad gamer who likes to play games with no time to play